Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Brina misses home - One word for many

-->
Well time and time again I hear the words over and over – have you blogged? Have you done a blog? 

... Fact is there has not been much to talk about or to write about these days. I have been extraordinarily pensive. Being in London has been a draining yet character reinforcing experience, probably still too early to say exactly what I have garnered or what I will take along life’s future journey. What I know more than anything is that I miss my home my family and the familiarities of the Jamaican sun the wandering smell of wood burning under the rich bauxite red soil, the charcoal smell of morning dew on every living and inanimate thing outside, the chain of call and answer from the district cockerels, the lazy mongrel dogs yawning in the quiet of the ominous Mandeville morning teasing me with its promise of either rain or sunshine, of mystery and drama, of lust and love, of sound and music, of nothing and everything.

I miss my island home; I miss my home of security and familiarity- I miss my nuclear and musical family. I have been uncovered and I feel like I've begun to tell my story and for those who will listen i will speak, I will sing for those who wish to speak.

But this longing that I have breeds good things: I tell you this and I tell you with all my heart - I am ready - ready to write again - Brina is ready to record some world roots reggae music - ready to be swept off my feet because I'm in love with this feeling, this yearning, this burning desire to meet you and to share with you. To touch your heart soul and spirit with music. "Life is beautiful, when there's love joy and fun, but life is horrible, when there is none" - words from one of my latest songs heard only on a live performance - a welcome song that salutes your soul and the angels in the architecture, for no matter where we are there they dwell with us. Some days I sneak around finding comfort in a hefty autobiography of Maya Angelou that I keep re-reading. I agree as she establishes my longing for a place called home a place where comfort abides. Many years have past and transitioning isn't the easiest, but I am still learning and I look forward to the days when I can impart that growth. 

“The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.”
Maya
 ... as for me today - I am singing I am giving thanks to the Most High and I am happy !!

Brina 

No comments:

Post a Comment