Sunday, August 21, 2011

.... LEFT LONDON FOR 4 HRS pt.1

OLD DOORS USED BY MEDIEVAL MONKS
ARTIST'S INSTALLATION ON DISPLAY

STAIN GLASS WINDOWS-  ONE OF THE BEST SHOTS I COULD GET
I went to the little town of Rochester. It is boasted as the "Historic town of Rochester". In this town you will find an air heavily laden with history brought to you by contemporary features. You will find that if you get there as early as I did pretty soon after 9 am you wont just hear your own footsteps against the cobbled streets.  My visit was in 2 parts: Thursday afternoon I breezed through the newness of the place with an unsuspecting eye to the fabric that had been unfurled before me. The 2nd oldest Cathedral in the UK was my first stop: the air was crisp, with a few visitors not too many it felt like walking in to another cathedral in Dunblane Scotland.




MY GOLDEN PIPES- ORGAN PIPES THAT TOWER OVER THE PILGRIM STEPS CATHEDRAL 
The golden pipes of the organ was fascinating - they were my highlight imagining what my songs would sound like with this massive golden display of pipes bubbling under a one drop niceness. According to the  brochure you were brought to more significant "must see" areas in the building. I decided I was to view what I wanted to and pretended to be in my very own tour guide. I guided by myself along.  
THE CRYPT


So this place swaggers so many facets of English history, from King James II to Charles Dickens to the Guildhall Museum,  an over 500 year old building, Abdication House and Restoration House many antique, charity, candy shops and places to eat that you would need on a day's visit to the Most Historic High street in southern England.
ROCHESTER CASTLE

THE ROCHESTER CATHEDRAL





CEILING IN GUILDHALL MUSEUM


SHOES FROM THE 1700'S

OLD BUILDING HOUSING A CONTEMPORARY CLOTHING STORE

ROCHESTER HIGH STREET AND I'M THE ONLY SPECTATOR

NICE CLOCK

MAN CLIMBING IN WINDOW APPARENTLY LOCKED HIS KEYS INSIDE
OVER 500 YEARS OLD LEANING AWAY

ANOTHER LEANING SHOP, EVIDENTLY CONSTRUCTED MANY YEARS AGO

REFRESHMENT TIME

TO BE CONTINUED ......

No comments:

Post a Comment